Who Should Wear a Pearl Gemstone?
According to the Indian astrology, Pearl (meaning Moti in Hindi) is associated with the auspicious planet Moon. Wearing Pearl helps to strengthen Moon in the wearer’s horoscope and blesses them with peace, mental stability, positivity and good health.
- Vedic astrology prescribes Moti ratna for Karka (Cancer) rashi.
- Western astrology recommends Pearl birthstone for Cancer sign.
- Ascendants of Leo, Aries, Scorpio, Sagittarius and Pisces can also wear Pearl gemstone to gain good results.
Pearl gem holds a strong, centuries-old reputation for its high aesthetics, unique metaphysical properties and healing abilities. This gemstone is notably featured in the ancient texts of India, Rome, China and Egypt. From Cleopatra to Angelina Jolie, Pearl is always worn as a symbol of class and elegance throughout the centuries. Regarded as ‘The Queen of Gems’ – Pearl is addressed by different names in different countries and cultures such as ‘Tarak Ratna’ or ‘Chandra ratna’ in Hindi, ‘Mukta’ in Sanskrit and ‘Margarita stone’ in Latin etc.
The quality of a natural Pearl depends largely on its origin, body color, surface texture, lustre and shape (also called orientation).
– The best quality Pearls are sourced from the coast of South India, Sri Lanka, Japan, Persian Gulf, Myanmar, Mexico and Venezuela. Pearls found in the Basra city of Persian Gulf (traded as Basra Pearl) are considered most valuable because of their immense rare and strong historical significance. South Sea pearls from India, ‘Kahil Moti’ from Sri Lanka, Mikimoto Pearls and Akoya Pearls of Japan are relatively less precious but quite popular in the gems and jewellery industry.
– Pearl body color and overtones depend on the type of Mollusc that produces them. The rarer and purer is the Pearl colour, the more valuable is the gemstone. Generally, a pure white Natural Pearl with slight rosy overtone is considered the most valuable variety. Cream colored pearl serves as the second most preferred choice. Due to the distinct color, the deep golden and black pearl stone are considered rarer and valued accordingly.
– Pearl is composed of layers of a hardened organic substance called Nacre that produces a surface glow when light passes through its layers. The high-quality Pearl with thick nacre layer often displays a luminous lustre and are considered quite desirable. In contrast, the average-quality pearl with poor nacre appears too white, dull and chalky in appearance.
– According to the Pearl experts, the tiny marks and the subtle blemish on Pearl’s surface proof its genuine origin. Theses blemishes result from the drifts and jerks occurred inside the Mollusc’s body during the Pearl formation. The presence of fewer surface flaws and imperfection denotes a superior quality and a more valuable pearl.
- Shape – Pearls are natural organic gemstones, so can occur in any possible shape which makes this gemstone both interesting and one-of-a kind. Generally, the round and near-round Pearl are rare and considered most valuable. Pearl in symmetrical shape is always preferred over the ones in baroque shapes.