Who Should Wear Opal Stone?
Opal meaning Upal in Hindi and Opala in Sanskrit, represents planet Venus. It is worn to counteract the malefic effects of weak Venus in the native’s birth-chart and bring financial prosperity, physical well-being and good social status for the wearer.
- Indian astrology assigns Opal ratna for Tula (Libra) and Vrishabha (Taurus) rashi.
- Western astrology recommends opal birthstone for Libra sign.
- Opal gem can also be worn by the ascendants of Capricorn, Aquarius, Gemini & Virgo.
Throughout history, Opal gem is recognised for its astrological properties and aesthetic charm. In recent years, many of the popular jewellery brands and fashion houses have been promoting Opal as a jewellery gemstone. For those who believe in the metaphysical properties of gemstones, Opal is like a blessing wrapped in the beauty that helps the wearer to cope up with the tough situations of life.
The quality of an Opal depends on numerous factors such as its origin, colour, the brightness of fire, fire-pattern, clarity and transparency level.
– Opal mines are discovered in Australia, Ethiopia, Mexico, Brazil, Sudan, Hungary and U.S.A. Of all origins, Opal from Australia is widely popular for its bright hue and rich fire. Ethiopian opal is next preferred followed by Mexican opal which is transparent to translucent and reddish orange in appearance.
– Color is the most influential factor for evaluating the Opal’s value. Pure white with fire is the most dominant hue although, orange, black, green, blue and pink opal also exist. A white opal with fire is considered most desirable for its astrological purposes. Opal with dark body color like black, blue and green are equally valued as they display a perfect play-of-color above a dark background.
Brightness of Fire
– The presence of fire is what draws a fine line between a precious Opal (that comes with fire) and a plain common Opal. In precious opal, the brighter and consistent fire display is highly valued whereas the presence of faint and the dull play of colors reduce its market price. Common Opals are most affordable but astrologically less effective.
– Pattern is basically the arrangement of color that has an enormous impact on the opal value. A combination of broad, brilliant and colourful flashes is rare therefore it is more expensive than the small pinfire patterned opal.
Clarity & Transparency
– In opals, the level of transparency and inclusions defines the clarity. Dendrites, sand particles, webbing, healed fractures and potch strand or dead spots are some natural inclusions that detract the value of Opal if visible through naked eyes. On the other hand, the level of transparency depends much on the type of Opal since transparency is admired in crystal opals whereas opaque spotless surface is desirable in White Opal, Boulder Opal and Black Opal.
– The gem quality Opal rough is generally cut and polished into a round and oval cabochons (non-faceted gems). Opal cabochons with perfect domes usually display the best fire from different viewing angles. It is often advised to avoid purchasing gems with too high or too flat domes as they are more vulnerable to damage when customised in jewellery.